Saturday 11 June 2011

Diagnostic Question # 8

Question
Do you have a basic, recurring, never-completely-going-away feeling of humiliation or invisibility in your relationship?

My answer
Over the last year I have found my personality and self confidence disappearing. It's been a slow shift and one that I've become intensely aware of in the last month especially. There are times when I've told an anecdote about my partner to friends, and then he waits until we're alone and tells me off for doing so. He tells me that this is about how his mum veils her criticism on a regular basis so that he automatically assumes that all comments, jokes or banter are at his expense.

He will do things like if we're having a lively debate, we'll get to a point where he'll close the conversation and tell me that he doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

I don't think that these things necessarily qualify for the purpose of this question. However as the author provides some examples, she mentions something about one-up-man-ship. If a man says he's tired, the partner will say that they are exhausted. This does sometimes happen within my relationship - but again, it's a minor occurrence and not something that happens every single day.

Quick take
Humiliation is the barometer of hatred.

My prognosis
I don't feel like this is something that happens very often, although when it does it just adds to the rest of the issues that we have.

No comments: