Monday 20 June 2011

Diagnostic Question # 26

Question
Do you feel that your partner, overall and more often than not, shows concrete support for and genuine interest in the things you’re trying to do that are important to you?

My answer
My example of this is a good one I think.You see my main problem is that I think everything is rosy, until I hear myself recounting a story about my partner that makes me cringe when I hear myself saying something like "my partner doesn't like it when I...", etc. So, my example here is when I wanted to go out on my own with my own company, with clients and an independent legal structure. My partner was all for it - I would like to think that it was mainly because it was something that I was good at, passionate about and was able to do. But a part of me thinks that he was behind it because I was going to be able to earn more money, have more flexibility and wouldn't complain about work.

Things that he did to show concrete support is that for the first few months he would loan me money when my client's cheque was being banked. And for some people, this might not seem huge, but my partner isn't usually very generous with his money. And although he knew I could and would pay him back, it was nice that he was supportive in this way - it made it less stressful for me to ask for the money for the first few months when I was getting on my feet.

He has also shown support and heard about my worries and stresses about this move from employment to self-employment. But at the same time, I have asked for some help (i.e. he is much better at photoshop/design programs and I wanted help with the design aspects of my logo), and he hasn't delivered. But overall, it has been a positive, supported move for me.

Quick take
Being there when it counts is respect that delivers.

My prognosis
On the basis of this question, it appears that the relationship is too good to leave.

No comments: