Monday 20 June 2011

Diagnostic Question # 27

Question
Would you lose anything important in your life if your partner were no longer your partner? Is what you'd lose something that makes you feel good about your partner for being able to provide it?

My answer
My partner has a number of things that I might miss if he weren't my partner anymore:
  1. He introduces me to new music (I sometimes feel resentful rather than good about this because it's always his music, never mine).
  2. He opens my mind to other movie genres (again, it's usually all about him and I go and see my movies alone).
  3. He is a security blanket (I think that this is a surface issue, and I would equally feel good if I had my own security blanket/savings, etc).
  4. He is my travel buddy (I would be sad, but this can't be a deciding factor in everything).
  5. He knows how to calm me down if I get anxious when travelling (Sometimes he actually causes the anxiety by pushing my stress buttons).
The question asks me to consider what it means to answer no to this question, it would mean that essentially my partner doesn't offer anything to the relationship, that I would lose nothing worthwhile by leaving. As much as I don't want to think that this would be the case, I fear that it may be.

Quick take
There's no need to keep something you wouldn't miss if it were gone or that you don't value when you've got it.

My prognosis
The last part of the quick take sentence hits home, "or that you don't value when you've got it". I don't value my partner for what he can offer me because I've spent a long time thinking that I can have everything on my own. Whether this is true or not, I'm not sure, but there isn't anything specific that my partner does that makes me respect him and want to stay right now.

No comments: