Monday 20 June 2011

Diagnostic Question # 22

Question
With your new, more complete, more realistic set of information about what it would be like for you if you left, have you discovered new, more probable realities that now make leaving seem impossible, difficult or unpleasant?

My answer
No, I'd like to think that I've been quite realistic about what it would be like if I left. We are financially separate, we don't own many things together, and although these are essentially the reasons (the lack of commitment that is) that I am considering leaving, it does make it easier to go. I think that the easier it is to leave a relationship, the easier it is to answer no to this question. For me, having some higher level of committed relationship has been important since the beginning. However I can see failings from both sides, barriers even that have prevented us from living in partnership these past six years. It's sad to see that we've both been so neglectful, but it is a reality that now makes it easy for me to think that leaving is a more viable option.

Quick take
If staying makes sense when you really check into it, it makes sense to stay.

My prognosis
This question and my subsequent answer doesn't necessarily bind or unbind our relationship. But it does make me see that we have been living separate lives the entire time that we have been together. And unless there is a major change or shift in our life together, then our relationship is going to become very confusing when it comes to children.

No comments: